Acid attacks are the new danger facing society, recently there was an attack carried out by men on a moped, who managed to at throw acid on five people in 90 minutes.
One of the victims suffered “life-changing” facial injuries due to chemical burns caused by the acid, police said.
The number of acid attacks in the capital have increased from 261 in 2015 to 458 last year.
Should you a loved one or by stander get attacked by acid, you should know the precautions you have to take to minimize as much damage as possible.
Ambulance officers have offered important first aid advice to those who are first on the scene.
The first step is to make sure the victim is safe, checking the area that has been hit with the acid, gloves or a form of protection should be worn to avoid you getting into contact with the acid as well.
“If the chemical is in powder form, it can be brushed off of the skin,” said the advice from St John’s Ambulance.
The charity has issued a warning to people to not try to find an antidote to the acid. Also, they urge those on the scene not to try to neutralise the acid unless they are properly trained in handling acid and alkalies.
The most important thing to do is to use water to disperse the acid and flood the burn. Bottled water is suitable for this task if nothing else is available.
Try and douse the victim for at least twenty minutes making sure that no contaminated puddles collect on the victims skin.
Whilst using water to combat the acid, at the same time try to remove any contaminated clothing to prevent damage to other areas of the skin.
If acid has gotten into a victims eye, hold their eye under gently running cold water for at least 10 minutes, thoroughly irrigating the eyelid both inside and out, said the first aid experts.
Do not allow the casualty to touch their eye, as they may have acid on their fingers, and do not try to use force to remove a contact lens.
“Make sure that contaminated water does not splash the uninjured eye,” said the advice, adding someone should hold a clean, non-fluffy pad over the contaminated eye whilst the emergency services arrive.